Saturday, January 6, 2007

Paper presentation about different online news media

I've just finished my paper for the 'Etmaal van de Communicatiewetenschap', a congress about contemporary trends and studies in the domain of communication and media studies. I will present a paper about 'multimedia, interactivity and hypertextuality in online news: defining different online news media and effects on knowledge'. The main purpose of this paper is to plead in the defence of the various submedia online. I suggest focusing on different online news media like blogs, general news sites, usenet, mail alerts, rss-feeds, etc. instead of studying the internet as one, homogeneous news medium. I try to construct a typology in which the different news media are characterised based on their degree of multimedia, interactivity and hypertextuality. Once this typology is made up, the associated cognitive processes and effects on the news-processing can be explained. To be continued on February, 8-9 at the University of Antwerp. I'll try to put the paper online after presentation.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites